- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pound baby portobello mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 pound white button mushrooms, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 5 cups hot reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Sprigs of fresh thyme for garnish
Recipe by Chef Chris Koetke
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook 7 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place remaining butter in a large saucepan or deep braising pan. Melt over medium heat. Add onion and saute until transparent. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add rice and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add wine and 1 cup of broth. Add salt and pepper. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until liquid is absorbed.
- Continue adding broth in 1/2-cup increments, adding more when broth is almost completely absorbed. Stir frequently, but gently, so as not to break the grains of rice. (This may take up to 40 minutes.)
- When rice is al dente, fold in cream just until small streaks of cream remain in risotto.
- Remove from heat and fold in mushrooms and cheese. If risotto is too stiff, add more liquid. It should be creamy and not stiff. Garnish with sprigs of thyme.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: