- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2 cups dried beans, such as Ojo de Cabra (Goat's Eye) or pinto beans
- 3/4 cup dark, sweet beer
- 1 thick slice bacon
- 3 serrano peppers, seeded and minced
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lime wedges
Recipe courtesy of Rancho Gordo, Napa, Calif.
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan; add 1/4 cup chopped onion and 1 minced garlic clove. Sauté about 5 minutes. Add beans and enough cold water to cover by 3 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, 2 hours or until beans are tender, adding water as necessary to keep beans covered.
- Add beer and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp. Remove bacon and all but 1 tablespoon of fat from pan, reserving bacon. Add peppers and remaining onion and garlic to pan; sauté until tender. Add mushrooms; cook until tender. Chop reserved bacon and add to pan.
- Combine bacon mixture with bean mixture. Cook 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. Serve with lime wedges.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: