- 4 cups blackberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ground pecans
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- -- Whipped cream (optional)
- Combine blackberries and granulated sugar. Let stand at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Combine flour, pecans, brown sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add butter and using your fingers or a fork, cut butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Add vanilla and milk.
- On a lightly floured cutting board, pat dough into a 5 x 9-inch rectangle, 3/4-inch thick. Cut into 8 pieces. Sprinkle turbinado sugar on top.
- Place shortcakes on a baking sheet and bake 15 to 18 minutes, until puffed and lightly colored. Cool on a wire rack.
- Slice shortcakes into halves horizontally; spoon blackberries and juice between halves and top with whipped cream, if using.
Recipe by Nancy Krcek Allen.